About Garry’s Mod
GMod or Garry’s Mod is yet another wonderful sandbox game published by none other than Valve Corporation. Developed by Facepunch, Garry’s Mod successfully released worldwide on Microsoft Windows in December 2004. The game is also available for play on Linux and OS X since 2010 and 2013 respectively.
Based on the principles of Physics, GMod emphasizes much on puzzle solving. The game incorporates the Havok Gaming Technology in the form of its “Havok Physics Engine”. This allows players to construct devices that abide by the fundamental Laws of Physics. It is also responsible for displaying realistic simulations of the experiments conducted and structures built.
The Gameplay: Every game has a set objective. However, not having an objective is what makes Garry’s Mod stand apart from the rest of the sandbox games. GMod gives complete freedom to its players to do the following:
- Generate characters that not playing otherwise labeled as NPCs
- Spawn ragdolls or motionless death animations
- Create props and other immovable objects such as explosives, dumpsters, shipping containers, or even furniture
GMod not only allows its players to spawn spontaneous creations but also enables players to interact with them in different ways.
The Tools: What keeps the game interested are its tools. GMod offers two important tools to all its players.
- The Physics Gun or the Phys-Gun – This enables the players to pick, rotate, and freeze the ragdolls and props in the game.
- The Tool Gun – This multi-purpose tool serves various tasks. It confines the props together and creates interactive buttons. It also creates wheels and winches that are controllable. The Tool Gun allows players to modify the facial expression of a ragdoll. It is also helpful in controlling the community-created add-ons available in the game.
Critical Reception: Ingenious is the term that best describes Garry’s Mod. GMod has caught the attention of many. In 2005, Garry’s Mod won two awards. One is the Computer Games Magazine’s “Best Mod” award and the other is the PC Gamer US’s “Best Mod” award.
About Garry’s Mod Server Hosting
Before looking at hosting Garry’s Mod, you should know which server you would use. Will it be a bare metal server or a dedicated server? Although both share some common features, they are suitable for different hosting options.
Valve Corporation recently announced that it would eventually allow its developers to host their in-house games through its Valve’s own dedicated servers. Hence, deciding on server type is important.
Further, installing your server is as significant as choosing your server type. Set up should be easy, simple, and instant. Otherwise, it is not worth it. The main highlight of any GMod Hosting is that it should allow you to invent and create anything that your imagination allows without any lag. Hence, high performance is necessary.
You can also look for certain additional features for your Garry Mod hosting. Most GMod server hosting comes with many freebies including free web hosting, free download set up (freeDL), free MySQL, and free Support. Other things to look out for are speed, storage, and safety.
In addition to the standardized features of security, low ping, and support system, there are few other pointers to keep in mind.
- Game panels must be effective with the latest features to host a lag-free gaming session.
- Backups must be true, trustworthy, and remote to avoid loss of data.
- A record of action logs will help in tracking server actions.
- Always opt for smart search options rather than wasting your time.
- Monitoring the system will help you evaluate resource usage.
- Great MySQL Database for your data storage is essential.
- Get a Mod Manager for a hassle-free installation of mod packs and add-ons.